MY GUIDE TO GOOD SKIN IN THE WINTER
I never used to think too much about skincare until this year when I realized adulthood and stress was affecting me way differently than it used to. I started paying attention to my skin and researching tips and tricks to fight acne and developed a routine that works for me. Developing a healthy skin care routine is one of the most important habits I've picked up in my 20's. Keep scrolling to see some of my favorite products and exactly how I use them to treat and prep my skin all winter long.
**Note: I am not an aesthetician or beauty professional by any means, but I have learned a few tips and tricks and wanted to compile them for you all, but everyone is different and what works best for me, may not work best for you**
I use Neutrogena Make Up remover wipes pretty much as soon as I know I'm in for the night because I don't necessarily like to wear makeup when I don't have to. One wipe is usually good enough for me unless I'm wearing a lot of makeup then I use one for my face and one for my eyes/mascara usually. Washing your face/makeup off should be one of the first things you do when you get home for the night as your face and carry around a ton of germs from the air throughout the day.
After I use the makeup remover wipe, I wash my face with a gentle cleanser. I alternate between Benefits Gentle Cleanser, Mario Badescu Cleanser and Clinique face soap. I normally exfoliate my skin every other day after I wash it, using Dermologica Micro-exfoliant. It's not super harsh so its okay to use multiple times a week.
MY FAVE PRODUCTS:
TBH face masks are one of my favorite parts of my routine. I love the way they make my skin go from feeling gross to clean and fresh in literally 30 mins. If you take your time and really try to enjoy it, it can be more relaxing than a facial (and WAY cheaper).
I start with a charcoal mask. My absolute favorite is from Cosmedix, but Origins also makes great stuff!! I try to use a charcoal mask 2-3 weeks (depending on breakouts) to help unclog pores and detoxify my skin by drawing out dirt, toxins, and oil that clog pores.
If I'm in a rush then I'll skip the Face Mask's and opt for Clinique Clarifying lotion. I use a good amount on a cotton ball or two before I apply my serums and lotions.
MY FAVE PRODUCTS:
The Instant Comeback facial serum by Benefit is by far my favorite serum. I use a few pumps in the morning and at night before my toner, moisturizer and cream! This serum helps your skin restore itself overnight and improves firmness and elasticity.
Some people say you should apply Toner, before your serum, but for me I found it works better when I apply my serum and then my toner. It helps my moisturizer set better and I found it leaves my face feeling less sticky and more refreshed. The first toner I ever used was Moisture prep from Benefit and no matter how many I try, I've been coming back to it ever since.
MY FAVE PRODUCTS:
This is something I've recently been trying to use more. I know I'm not going to stay young forever so I'm trying to get ahead of the clock by prepping my skin with eye cream. Plus, Eye cream helps to reduce puffiness, dark under-eye circles, and lines. Benefit's It's Potent Eye cream has been awesome for at night and I use Clinique pep start eye cream in the morning. Be really gentle when applying around this area as your skin is super delicate.
I have 3-4 different moisturizers I always keep on hand and I switch between them. I use Clinique Pep start SPF as a base when I know I'm going to be doing a lot of walking around or spending time outside. I also love the Moisture Prep lotion from Clinique (ya prob know cause I rave about it on Insta LOL). I recently tried Emulsion and love the scent, plus how moisturized my skin feels afterwards. It's been a great addition to my routine. I also swear by Benefits moisturizer, it's literally AMAZING and leaves your skin feeling SO soft.
1. ALWAYS take your makeup off at the end of the day. I know some days we're tired and doing our skin care routine is the last thing we want to do. Going to bed with makeup on though can be really bad for your pores, especially if you develop it into a habit. Always try to remember your routine, even if you just use a makeup remover wipe and wash and moisturize.
2. Drink Lots of Water and eat good foods. Drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day will wash out toxins, hydrate, plump and give your skin a glow.Eating foods like Salmon, citrus fruits, tomatoes, chickpeas, kale, etc. are better for your skin than sugary and fatty acids. Regular exercise and sweating (Sauna's are my fave) also helps!
3. Moisturize and Tone everyday. Skin naturally dry's out in the cold winter so there's no such thing as too much moisture.
4. Exfoliate 2-3x a week. As gross as it is, you need to exfoliate this much to help remove your dead skin cells and keep the new skin clean.
5. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
6. Sleep with Vaseline or at least apply chapstick before going to bed every night. Your lips need love toooo!